Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Book storage

I have to admit I can't resist buying books for my kids. Sure we use the library, but I wasn't so good about returning our favorite books on time and those fees add up fast! So buying secondhand books is a lot cheaper and I love picking up a bunch of "new" books to add to our home library. But then there's a storage issue. Not that we don't have the space, but rather how to store them easiest for the kids. Typical bookcases where the books rest side by side never stay like that around here. Most end up on the floor piled up. So new inexpensive ways to stash our books was my plan. I like the low open top bookcase at the local children's library. So I flipped a small bookcase on it's backside and added a top cushion for seating. A bookcase ottoman. It works well, but not all our books fit and I wanted to hang some of our books on the wall. So I made two other shelves: a shadowbox type (from a wooden wine crate) and a book sling (from salvaged parts of a laundry rack and a wooden shelf). I am happy with the finished products. So are the kids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment