Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spinning compost bin

A few weeks ago, I made a compost bin from a tote bin. It is slowly working on our compost. I read a few articles about how much faster a compost pile decomposes in rotating bins. In less than 1/2 the time and it's less of a dirty job with no need to shovel the pile regularly. That sold me. What didn't sell me was the price. So expensive for my budget. So after a few google searches, a little brainstorming, and a trip to our garage to find a few odds and ends to work with, I came up with a rotating composter using a large bucket with lid, a metal pole, a storage bin with lid, rubber bands, a soda bottle, and a drawer knob. I'm not saying I'm the first ever to make it this way, but I couldn't find instructions for this design easily online.

The kids love "feeding" the composter. Now we wait and see how long our scraps take to make food for our garden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment