Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

Tablecloth Curtains

To save time and money, I've used sheets or fabric shower curtains to make curtains. But this wasn't going to work as well with our bedroom glass door window. It's really long (about 100" x 100"), so I was having problems finding long enough panels (or enough of the same design) or enough yardage. I even thought about making bicolor panels like ones I saw in an email from West Elm:


But instead I found an easier way...tablecloths!

Photobucket

I was at Target and they had a bunch of nice fabric tablecloths on clearance that were 60" x 120" which should work for my window. The prices were about $9 per tablecloth. This is definitely a better price than the home decor fabrics I was oggling at Joann's this past weekend ($15+/yard...ouch! And that was on sale. I would need about 16 yards!).

Since these tableclothes are long enough and all the edges are already finished, I only needed to make the top casing for the rod and to hem up the bottom. I hemmed the curtains with a few inches of overlap to the floor (to allow for shrinkage that will happen from multiple washings and someone told me that the sun can also shrink them, too). I didn't have to use scissors once. I decided to keep all the length and hem it up...just in case I need to let down a few inches later.

Making the curtains was a lot easier using the tablecloths because of all edges being finished, however, when I was pinning up the top and bottom edges, I noticed that the tablecloths didn't exactly have straight edges. So, that made it harder. But I'm satisfied with the finished product.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. very nice!! it is so funny you wrote about this...someone told me about using tablecloths to make curtains recently and it was a "well DUH!" moment for me. why would anyone do anything else? fabric by itself is too expensive but already hemmed fabric in the form of a tablecloth can be cheap! i just haven't found the right tablecloth yet i guess to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! We totally need curtains like that to replace the hated mini-blinds in our diningroom. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete