Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Board


I made this felt board for Ava last night. Actually the board isn't covered with felt. It's actually some type of flannel/fleece textured fabric. Something I bought off the $1/yard table at Walmart a long time ago, but never really used it for anything except the backing to Ava's cheerio bib. You can use felt, flannel or fleece (although fleece has the least amout of "stick-ability"). I like the way this fabric makes the board look like a chalkboard, but is made for felt projects. I didn't have any felt onhand, but found some felt cutouts from a holiday kit set. Now that I know felt will stick to it, I'll get some pieces to make other shapes. I'm also cutting out photos from magazines, cards, and coloring books to laminate. Just adding a piece of felt, sandpaper, or the hook part of velco tape will make it stick. I hope Ava likes the board. I bet she'll end up taking the pieces and toting them around the house until she realizes how fun it is to stick them on the board.


I used a 16 x 20 frame and placed the green fabric over the cardboard back. The frame also came with another piece of cardboard so I put that on the back to cover up the fabric edges. No glue needed. I just used the frame's closures to secure the cardboard back. I also placed the plexiglass (sp?) piece on the backside of the frame. It doubles as a dry erase board. No photo of that side to share.


I still have a huge piece of the green fabric left and might make a wall hanging version to put up in the playroom. I could hang this framed one, but didn't want her to put it down off the wall and drop it on herself. It find a simple wood easel, I'd prefer to use that. For now, she use it on the floor or table (or lap? Might be a little too big). It might be fun for her to have a lapsized version, too. Some much fabic and ideas, so little time!


After making it, I came across this a good link for instructions on Martha Stewart's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment