Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A sewing jag

I've been in such a mood to sew lately! Not sure exactly how I got on this sewing jag, but think it was due to a really rainy week. Today wasn't a rainy day (well it rained a little), but I had my mind set on making a little dress...without a pattern*. I wanted to make a reversible dress. Without instructions on how to do this, I sat around brainstorming. I finally ended up just giving it a shot and with the help of my seam ripper, I was able to finish it. Not without a few hiccups in the process. I just hope it fits Ava (too late for her to try it on..darn). If not, at least I practiced a few sewing techniques.

Side 1: UF Gator Decor
Photobucket

Side 2: Light Pink "candy stripe" design
Photobucket

Instead of using bias tape, I hemmed the edge and made it look like binding on the Gator dress side. A little tedious, but I like the end result.
Photobucket
The candy stripe edge on the gator side of the dress

Photobucket
This candy stripe side of the dress is just hemmed at the bottom.

When I finally finished, I realized the neck hole seemed small, so I took the straps apart and added ribbon. Depending on how it looks on Ava and/or if the neck hole was really too small, I might do something else. I do like the bows though :)

Photobucket

No outtake photos this time. I was too busy just trying to stay focused on finishing it (making this style dress reversible was trickier than I originally thought). Even after finishing it, I still have a few possible steps if I change the straps. I might also iron-on an applique. We'll see.

*I did use a pattern as reference for the shape/size of the dress, but that's all. The original instructions weren't what I wanted to do, so I had to rely me, myself and I.

Next? I want to make a reversible pillowcase dress. After completing this dress today, the pillowcase dress will be a breeze (crossing fingers). Oh, and I want to make a bunch of little bloomers/panties for the dresses.

1 comment: